Yin was a fairly simple build, even though I tried some new things and gained some new skills. Keep reading for a complete breakdown on how I made this cosplay!
The wig was the first thing I started with, because if the wig failed, then there was no point working on the costume. I searched endlessly for tutorials and found this amazing tutorial - among other amazing tutorials - and decided to apply it to my Yin wig.
I bought two of the same wigs and went to work. You can check some of my progress pictures below for how I put it together, but your best bet is to follow the linked tutorial. TIP: Don't have a wig stand? A broom handle works great! You can tie it or tape it to any sturdy structure while you're styling.
I styled and spiked the bangs and ponytail using hairspray. I can't stand the feeling of things in, on, or around my fingers, so it was an excruciating task for me. I'm not completely happy with the ponytail spikes, so eventually I will go in and add more volume and back combing. Here's some pics on my styling process.
Again, I won't go into details because a) I'm not the best b) there's so many tutorials available for this already.
The dress was fun to make. I started with a duct tape pattern for the bodice and made a mock up. After a few adjustments, I finalized the pattern and cut the fabric for the bodice and dress parts. The zipper was really hard to sew - it was my first attempt at zippers. It ended up being a little weird on the overlay, but at least it lays flat and doesn't ripple!
The black details on the bottom are from an old curtain and I used Fray Check on the edges. I decided to go this route to avoid large seams and to keep it more stiff.
On to the bolero! Ima be honest - that is still a really weird word to say and I prefer to call it a jacket. This one was a little more difficult and it was all a giant guessing game. I traced an old sweater to get the base of the bodice and followed this tutorial to draft my own sleeves. My first sleeve was bad. My second sleeve was also bad, but I worked with it and just fixed the extra droop.
I'm lucky I was working with a stretch material. If it wasn't stretch, I would have to re-do the sleeve again. So that's something I'll have to practice to get right!
The collar was another part I struggled with. Even though my material was stretchy, it was also thick and if I doubled up and calculated for seam, it would be one bulky (and ugly) collar. So I went back to the old curtain material. I sewed some spikes and turned it inside out. TIP: Use a pin to pull the tips out for maximum point.
I actually re-made the collar a second time with a reinforced sewing method, and larger spikes, but I ended up liking the smaller spikes against my neck.
I decided to do a double hem for the jacket because it was such a thick material so it would help stop the material from popping back out. Plus, it just looks super neat!
I finished off the jacket with 3 hooks to hold it closed. I might add an extra flap later to hide the skin gap. But until then it's hardly noticeable.
To finish off the look, I threw on some thigh highs - my only secret sexy spin on the character. She's such an amazing character and I really love how the cosplay came together. Here's my breakdown on the Cosplanner app!
Next week I give a breakdown of Animethon 23 and my experience as a first time Cosplay Contest Judge!